Thursday, April 5, 2012

McKinney Falls State Park






This is my least favorite park we have been to. Let me start by saying I fully understand our timing was terrible. Not only was it the first weekend of spring break, but it was opening weekend for the rodeo and SXSW. McKinney Falls is located 13 miles from downtown Austin. So camping here was like camping in Zilker Park. There is no separate tent loop in this park. So we shared a loop with RV's that had put up bounce houses on their tent pads. The people next to us had a shrimp boil till 1am. We only stayed 1 night, but it was a long one. We went down to the river, but it was kinda mucky from the dry weather although the falls were still flowing. It was crowded.
I have decided that perhaps in the fall this park deserves another chance. Maybe on a quiet weekend when swimming season is over. I'll know to expect that there will be lots of airplane noise since the airport is 15 minutes away. I won't be looking for a beautiful night sky since it is all drowned out by city lights. Maybe we will try a screened shelter to escape the generators and the bounce house crowd. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment